The Citizens Academy is a free, eight-week community outreach program designed to provide citizens who live and work in the city a unique opportunity to learn more about the Greenville Police Department (GPD).
The academy features a classroom setting, with presentations by GPD personnel from multiple divisions, and a variety of learning experiences outside the classroom.
In addition to learning about the inner-workings of the department, participants also see what day-to-day life is like for officers and communications personnel by visiting the communications center and participating in a ride-along with an on-duty officer.
Classes are held on Tuesdays from 5:30 to 8 p.m. at the GPD Training Center, located at 688 Mauldin Road (unless otherwise noted).
Upon graduation, participants have the opportunity to join the GPD Citizens Academy Alumni Association.
The Citizens Academy curriculum includes:
- GPD structure and operations
- Police training simulator
- Use of force
- Vice and narcotics
- Media relations
- Traffic stops
Citizens Academy Information
- Must be at least 21
- Must live and/or work in the city of Greenville (check your address here)
- Must attend a minimum of 7 of the 8 classroom sessions
- Must participate in a ride-along
Individuals are ineligible to participate if any of the following apply:
- Pending arrest or conviction for any offense
- Any felony arrest within the past 10 years
- Any misdemeanor arrest within the past 5 years
- Under investigation by any law enforcement agency
- Intentional deception on arrest record or failure to report an arrest in this application
- Denied employment by this agency and ineligible to reapply
- Terminated by this agency or resigned to avoid disciplinary action
- Previously rejected from the Citizens Academy due to failure to disclose arrest record or other untruthful information on application
- Does not possess a valid, government-issued identification
- Member of any organization or participates in any organization deemed by the Police Chief to be subversive to the department or the policing profession
- Is or has been party to a civil lawsuit against the City of Greenville, the Greenville Police Department, and/or any current employees of the City of Greenville
- Delinquent in the payment of court-mandated child support
- Appears unable to exhibit sound judgment
The Police Chief or his designee retains the right to allow or deny participation by anyone in this program at his/her discretion, with or without cause or explanation.